coffee cup

coffee cup

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Recipe Time! Sausage and Peppers

Happy Day-After-Saint-Patricks Day! I forgot to take pictures of my dinner last night but boy oh boy did I make a mean corned beef. YUM.
I thought I would share one of my all time favorite recipes of a meal I grew up eating aaallllll the time. It's super easy, super delicious, and looks like something you would buy at an Italian sandwich shop in New York. (I think that's what my dad was going for)  Let's jump in to my "Sausage and Peps" Sandwich.

You will need:
Italian Sausage- I really like to use Hot or Spicy, it gives the best flavor. Hands down my favorite sausage of all time is Rays Own Brand sold locally in the central coast grocery stores.
3 Bell Peppers- Your choice of either two red and one green or vice versa. I used two green only because they were tiny this go around at the store. I typically like using two red and one green.
1 medium Yellow Onion
Garlic- I like to use about 3 cloves, minced
Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, and a dash of red pepper flakes for a little more kick
Hoagie buns (or hot dog buns work okay too)


Let's get cookin'. In a medium sized pan (make sure you have a lid that fits) throw the sausage in over medium low heat and cover. I like to turn them every 3 minutes or so. While they are cooking, cut up the veggies into long 1/4 inch slices and set aside. When cutting the onion, cut the ends off then stand it on one of the flat ends, cut it straight down the middle, lay it flat and then cut 1/4 inch slices. I have a garlic mincer/crusher thingamajig (thanks mom) so I always use fresh garlic for everything. If you have minced garlic in the fridge you can totally use that, or just give the fresh cloves a really nice chop with your knife.


After the sausage has been cooking for about 10 minutes, I add in my veggies to the pan along with the garlic, seasonings, a little bit of olive oil and cover. Every 3 minutes I give the veggies a stir and move the sausages around. When the peppers have no longer become stiff and onions are translucent, I take the sausage out and cut them lengthwise, then in half just so that Nick can pile a bunch in his sandwich and get a bite of everything. I throw them back in the pan, give a stir and then grab some tongs and put them in a toasted bun with a little bit of mayo. (I HATE mayonnaise but with this sandwich it just works. Give it a try!) I didn't take a picture of the finished product in sandwich form because I simply got too hungry and ate it. Oops!

This is such an easy and cheap meal to make, so if you need a simple and quick meal that tastes amazing… give this one a shot. Ciao!
xo's
Tyler

1 comment:

  1. First off, shame on you for not posting corned beef n cabbage!! Second, OMG I can literally smell this in my head!! It has to be a grandma/grandpa thing bc my mom makes them too (with mayo!!) hahaha
    Crap, I'm hungry now!!
    Stalker.... Out!

    ReplyDelete